Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Alamo











Today we did the downtown part of our little mini vacation..........the most important part for me is that I didn't get us lost........well driving I didn't get us lost. On foot, well that is a totally different story..........I have no sense of direction......I just plow forward and never take a minute to look for landmarks or make a mental note of what store or restaurant we passed........shoot, what difference would it make, I already discussed that the memory part of the daily vitamins aren't working.




We did the river walk first.........we ate at Landrys, a very vice restaurant - - meaning that it wasn't like rainforest cafe, or Hard Rock...........we are outside on the sidewalk so that we could watch the small St Patrick's Day parade, and had yum dilleeeeious mango daiquiris...........and a shrimp po'bo sandwich..........took the boat tour on the river walk and then wandered over to the Alamo. Now I have been there quite a few times and never ever had to stand in line to get inside..........ever. We did today. It was ok though, as it moved quickly and we talked to a family that were from Maryland..............the kids were bored out of their minds............had no idea what the Alamo was, what took place or who Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie were............again another age gap, as I grew up on westerns and Disney's The Alamo movie. I remember the first time I went to the Alamo...............I had tears in my eyes............another place were we fought for freedom............people from all over, not only the United States, but from Europe, were there and fought..............here is a link to a good site if you are interested in reading more....http://www.thealamo.org/main.html.



The last place I wanted to show Karen, was this wonderful old hotel....The Menger (pronounced Mayn ga)....It is from another era..........wonderful and old..........full of grace and grandeur...........here is a partial snapshot of the lobby. Here is one of the dining room..........old world style and grace again...........
Well we are being sooooo good food wise, a bowl of cereal for breakfast, the good lunch and now we are off to either Cold Stone Creamery, Baskin Robbins.........I don't know one of the ice cream places to fill in the dairy part of our dietary needs.........hmmmm I am thinking a big part of my need tonight.

No comments: