Monday, March 17, 2008

Tis' a blessing to be Irish



Top of the morn'n to all of you.............

It is a blessing to be Irish..........don't know how to explain it, it just is. My heritage has always been emphasized in my family and I have tried to do that with my children, but I think that with each generation that it is losing some of the,hmmmmm, what word do I want to use, losing some of the "uniqueness?".....that's not it either........the "who we are and where we came from".....that's it.

Every Saint Patrick's Day I say a small prayer of thanks to my Great Grammy and Grampa Nyland. Coming to this wonderful land from Ireland with their young children. They worked hard and long hours on an English gentry's manor, she as a house maid and he as a stable/farm hand to earn the money for passage. It must have been both scary and sad to
leave their home, family and all that was familiar and secure to them to start out in a strange and new land that they only knew as "the promised land.' I know that they didn't go through Ellis Island, but landed in Boston. I don't know how or why, but I do have the ship's log with their name on it and someday I will share that with all of you.
So today, have a wonderful and blessed day.......and whether you have rain. snow, winds or overcast skies, carry the mirth and love of the IRISH inside of you and share it with others............


No comments: