Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dragonflies....

A dragonfly is an insect belonging to the order Odonata, the suborder Epiprocta or, in the strict sense, the infraorder Anisoptera. It is characterized by large multifaceted eyes, two pairs of strong, transparent wings, and an elongated body.
Dragonflies typically eat mosquitoes, midges, and other small insects like flies, bees, and butterflies. They are therefore valued as predators, since they help control populations of harmful insects. Dragonflies are usually found around lakes, ponds, streams and wetlands because their larvae, known as "nymphs", are aquatic. Dragonflies do not normally bite or sting humans, though they will bite in order to escape, if grasped by the abdomen.
I like dragonflies. Isn't it funny how we become enamored with different things at different times of our lives? In the insect world, I have drifted (no pun intended) from lady bugs
to butterflies and now to dragonflies. I think I first became aware of them when we lived near a lake and also had a wonderful pool at our house. They would hover and flitter around the pool. Their wings and body would actually sparkle and glitter----oh man, again with the sparkle and glitter thing......beginning to see a pattern here.
I was lucky once and actually had one land on my hand.........now in truth, I have to admit, that when I looked down at it, and saw these "eyes" attached to the rest of his or her body, well
it was a shock. What did I know of the anatomy of a dragonflies body? ZILCH!!!
I do know that I felt rather special that day..........the water in the pool, clean and
so blue, the warmth of the sun, and this dragonfly giving me the honor and trust
of landing on my hand and resting.
As I said before, I have gone through "phases" in my bug
life.........for the moment it is dragonflies, and maybe it will remain dragonflies from here on out........I don't know, I DO know that I am going to enjoy their beauty and sparkle and take time to watch each one that I am blessed to see........


No comments: