Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My poor classic record



Ya know what, after doing my little dissertation on ALICE yesterday, I realized something.........I am truly under read in the classics. Now is this going to affect world peace.......no. Is this going to make the world stop turning...............no. Is this going to make me a better Nana.................no. Actually it only makes me wonder how it happened? I went to good schools..........most of them private Catholic schools..........so you would think that the classics would have been encouraged (hmmmm, a polite way of saying read this or else.) I have never read TOM SAWYER, UNCLE Tom's CABIN, DAVID COPPERFIELD, TALE OF TWO CITIES.....man this list is becoming rather an embarrassment. Now I have read Shakespeare, Silas Mariner, the Scarlett Letter, Little Women, Little Men, Jane Eyre, and Robinson Crusoe. SO all in all I am not a total heathen in the classics...........like most young girls I fell in love with all of the sisters in Little Women wanted to be like Jane Eyre and was totally outraged and angered in reading the Scarlett Letter. Now Silas Mariner was something we read as a class in mu junior year in high school......I rather liked that too.........some of Shakespeare was ok..........all in all I guess I held my own in what I read...........I wonder, do they still have to read classics in high school anymore? I was studying to be an English Lit major/teacher/ in college, which sadly I was unable to finish.........and that was ok for many reasons..........and I remember the semester I had to drop out, I was in a class that was totally Shakespeare and with a professor that had horror stories about her that would make a vampire/ogre tremble in their boots...........so I am not to upset about missing that part of my education..........tee hee.. Like I said, the world is still turning, and world peace is no closer today than it was yesterday, so all in all my ignorance of the classics has effected no one but myself............and now I am opening being truthful here..........I just don't have that much strength or fortitude to start them now..........if this makes me a heathen, then slap my name in capital letters on the top of the list...........me, I have beading to do, movies to watch, grandchildren to read to, laundry to do, oh yeah, and this blog to write..........see I have important "stuff" to tend to ...................

No comments: