Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day's Remembered

First, I don't know how often that I will be able to post........the Geek Squad said a minimum of 7 to 10 days before I can get my machine back!!!!!! I played the ole' Nana taking care of little grandsons, with no life other than my computer..........then I put on my really scariest face and said something about postal workers.........either way the young man didn't look impressed!!!!!
To get to the post of the day..........many Memorial Days have come and gone and trust me spending quite a few of them in Wyoming, they were either spent freezing or hoping against hope that the sun was going to stay.
The one Memorial Day that I want to share with you, happened many many years ago, I think I was either 8 or 9. It was the year that I marched in the Memorial Day parade with my baton twirling group. Now being the younger group, we weren't required to throw our batons or do any fancy steps......just march in out little white pleated skirts, our sequined blue vests, and white boots with the tassels on them. Oh we looked sharp......and we marched....I have no idea how long we marched, but we marched. Now as all of the other girls were joined with their parents, Mary and George couldn't find their precious little only child, Mary Ellen. They must have panic ed royally and rightfully so...........off they went to the cemetery, and I am sure it wasn't at any slow pace either. They found me........sitting on a headstone ( I am sorry, I know it was disrespectful and I was given a stern lesson on that also), but there I sat.......baton in hand, boots off and this horribly sad and forlorn look on my face .........my first words to my parents was a declaration "That was it.............no more..........I am sorry to disappoint you..but I just can't do this marching thing again." I didn't. In fact, I don't think I continued on with my baton twirling career much longer after that.
I can remember that day so vividly, and it brings such a smile to my face each time.........hope you enjoyed it too........
I am writing on my grandson's laptop.............man it is different than the computer, keyboard thing........again, it's what you are use to........right now it is a challenge for me..........so I will try and persevere and conquer............

No comments: