Sunday, June 29, 2008

No sales


No sales.......and at first I was disappointed.......that is honesty at it's best........but then I stopped, and right away really..........I had an experience that I wouldn't have had, if I hadn't dared to go and try. I think I was the greenest (and not in the Eco green sense) of the women (and one couple) there. I learned that when I can afford to purchase some display items, you know the black lined boxes for bracelets, the neck stands for necklaces, etc..........that I should..........but for now I will have to look for sales and make do.........I had thought about making the little ear ring stock card pieces, but instead chose to put them into the little sateen bags and lay them on top of those.........now I think I will spend some time cutting up card stock and finding an itty bitty punch to punch holes into the stock and place the ear rings on these.
I think only a few of the artist made sales......it was hot.......thankfully I was on the porch, so I was protected from the direct sun, I wore my silly neck wraps - and oh thank goodness I did, they were a life saver.....literally.......what a difference in body temp they make - and I drank, drank, drank, drank water, and more water and more water.........oh the other artist sales.........see I wandered again.........beautiful work, some stunning pieces, artistic pieces and with a hefty price tag on them too, but the only pieces that I saw sell were those of my jewelry instructor and that was from her students that were taking classes that day. Now get this one....I didn't take ANY snapshots.........I brought my camera and totally forgot about it..........now that is brain dead. I think that I am just not use to having a camera with me.........ok, it's an excuse, but I think that, that is what actually happened. I didn't even think about the camera until I was packing up to go and found it in the bottom of my carry-all..............sigh.
I did meet some very nice people...........in fact I met one young lady that had something to do with dental things, organizations, whatever and she had Why-oh-ming in her territory. When I told her that was my old home, she asked what city, I told her Gillette, and then she asked if I knew this certain dentist..........was my dentist!!!!!! We had a nice conversation. I shared a table to work on, with a wonderful lady, and she is an retired Air Force nurse.........one of the owners of the shop is also a retired Air Force nurse and through out the day they introduced me to quite a few more of these wonderful and courageous women.......all retired Air Force nurses.........all from the Viet Nam era..........oh how I would love to sit down with them and listen to the stories they had to share.......write them all down..........what history they saw and participated in.
One of the artist, who was quite loud, said that I there are people who will purchase items with three digit figure price tags on them...........well I need to meet these people. I am afraid that I don't know many or run in these circles..........she also shared that you couldn't create and represent yourself to the right crowds and do both well........you needed a representative...........oh man, for an overextended in girth Nana, I was starting to feel quite small..........I know I was out of my league with this artist........but all in all, I felt comfortable and enjoyed meeting all of the artist that I did. I am almost 99% sure that I will do it again in November and hopefully sell something........if not, it will be another day of visiting with wonderful people and soaking in the peace and quiet of the area..........

2 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

Hi,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your lovely remarks. To answer your question, I use a camera. My cell phone takes bad photos.

I think you have a great blog!

Sounds like you had fun even though you didn't make a sale. I don't know why you didn't sale anything. Your work is beautiful! I can't believe you have been at it for less then a year. You rock!

Hugs,
Joanne

Mary Ellen said...

Thank you Joanne, for taking the time to answer my question. I should downsize my purse 'innards', so I can carry my camera with me...will think about that.