Saturday, June 14, 2008

something from a novel....


I have just finished reading BIG STONE GAP a novel by Adriana Trigiani. It was soooo good. Usually when I see a 'reader's circle' or Oprah's choice type symbol on the book, I shy away from it.......like the vampire books that I shared with you, I let myself be exposed to this wonderful novel and will be glad forever that I have.
I am going to share with you something that is taken from this novel that just hit me.......
'No one worries about you like your mother, and when she is gone, the world seems unsafe, things that happen unwieldy. You cannot turn o her anymore, and it changes your life forever. There is no one on earth who knew you from the day you were born; who knew why you cried, or when you'd had enough food; who knew exactly what to say when you were hurting;and who encouraged you to grow a good heart. When that layer goes, whatever is left of your childhood goes with her. Memories are very different and cannot soothe you the same way her touch did.'
Man, that paragraph just jumped out and grabbed me.......oh please, don't think that the whole book is this deep philosophical thinking thing......it's a novel, with love, laughter and tears.........family, friends, and life. If you get a chance to read it and I hope you do, please be brave and allow yourself to open the cover and read........it won't be long before you are caught within this wonderful novel and will want to pass it on to someone else..........trust me.

2 comments:

Joanne Kennedy said...

Ok you got my interest. I think I'll check out this book next time I'm at the store. It sounds pretty good.
Joanne

Mary Ellen said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as my daughter and I have.......guess it is a trilogy......so will be searching for 2 and 3. A wonderful young woman who has read all three, says #2 isn't as good, but 3 is wonderful.......