Monday, August 25, 2008

First day of school.......


Today is the beginning of the school year.........sigh. It was hard leaving him, my grandson, sitting on the gym floor, with that deer in the headlight look in his eyes............he already had told us that he had an upset tummy. He will be fine.........well not fine maybe, but he will survive. It was a total mad house in the gym. Second through fourth grades were meeting in there..........now think, that is one teacher per class, the 20-22 children in each class (I 'think' there are 5 or 6 of each grades) and then add the extra baggage.........parents, little brother and sisters, grandparents, and one family had two aunts and an old babysitter to boost.............are you getting the picture yet? I like how this school system does supplies too, you are offered a chance to purchase a box, that has ALL of the school supplies that your child will need for that grade........one stop shopping. Each boy or girl is responsible for either one roll of paper towels,
box of tissue, or hand soap........and of course their backpack. Nice.
I don't remember being scared about the first day of school.........I was excited, but not nervous at all. School was my social life.........remember I was an only child. I always had friends, always. In fact I could hang out with the cool kids and the nerds and feel comfortable with both........weird, huh? Like a typical girl I wanted my hair to look good and when I went to public school, I of course, wanted to look "good" in my new clothes. Parochial school didn't put that pressure on you.......uniforms. I think back and it really is a good idea. It's done and over with........no peer pressure, no upper class, poor class...........you dress the same and you didn't add that extra stress of "what to wear" each day.
I will drive to pick him up this afternoon and each day there after.......but today I am not looking forward to it..........again the first day jumble. I will have the afternoon snack ready for when he comes home, and hopefully no homework tonight............tomorrow will be smoother and after a few weeks, all of this nervousness will be gone.........

No comments: