Thursday, August 14, 2008

Home Sweet Home

we left Vermont and none to soon, it was raining again and as we looked at the Mad River, it was rising and traveling at a terrific speed...........we stopped for breakfast in Rochester,VT and ate at the Wochester Cafe and Country Store...no pictures, no site to share...........but it was a wonderful and cozy place. The breakfast was phenomenal and I snuck over to the country store......and I am sure glad I did. I purchased THE most wonderful lilac sachets.........oh my goodness........they just brought the whole feeling of spring and the wonderful fragrance to life........and trust me, my unmentionables and jammies are smell'n ever so lilac!!!!!! As I paid for the meal, the lady that was taking the money received a call.........I could tell that she was worried and when she got off the phone, she asked which way we were heading.......told her south and she said that was good........the area that we had just passed through was flooding and all of the bridges and low roads had been closed............these poor people have been plagued by rain. Everywhere we went the locals would share the rain stories........sure has hindered their tourist money I am sure.

We arrived at my home site and spent a wonderful afternoon with my Uncle and cousins and some of their children..........poor Karen, her head was spinning. She thought it was just me..........but my whole family has the same traits.......what you ask??? Well apparently I talk about one thing and before anyone can digest that information, I am on to another subject with no warning and those around me are totally lost...........sigh........I know where I am.........well kinda sorta. None of us seem to finish all of our sentences...........tee hee.....I didn't pick up on that one.......mostly because I know where the sentences are going and so why bother finishing it, and so did they, so we were off onto another subject, so as not to waste time. Oh, here is one that cracked me up........we are an Irish family.........there are spots and drops of other nationalities from marriage, but all in all we are Irish. So my cousins and I were super jaw jabbering about this one and that one in our family and on my paternal side that like "tea" or died from Irish "tea"..............just an accepted part of our lives............poor Karen, I think she actually raised her hand to get a word in and asked " What disease do you get or how do you die from tea?".............We all just looked at her...........and of course we all burst out laughing...........big laughs too..........'tis a blessing to be Irish..........unless you let the Irish tea bless you first'..........alas we were referring to alcohol...........it has effected our family (mine on both sides) quite heavily........we can smile and laugh at some of the happenings, but we also realize that it has taken those that we loved way to soon and caused some horrid scaring to parts of our family..........but the funny part was, I think Karen thought she had entered a foreign land.


Later we drove up to the cemetery, as I hadn't seen my parent's headstone. In fact I haven't been back to MA since my father's burial 16-17 years ago........oh how things have changed........any ways, as we were driving through the cemetery I couldn't find one of my relatives that I was looking for........so I made some comment about names, Karen looked over at me and said "Please, don't tell me it's an Irish name, so far that's all that is buried in here are Irish people."......I got to laughing........I did find a few of the French relatives to show her that there were more than the Irish allowed..........goodness, never let it be said that we were snobs!!!!!! Tee Hee.........
This is a picture of my great grandparent's headstone.............on my paternal side...........I took photos of all of my family's headstones, but I won't go into all of those.........it just made me feel better to go and visit.
We were off to the cape..........and boy did we run into some traffic...........holy mackanolie.........of course it was around 6pm and did the traffic get bogged down and bumper to bumper in the lane we were in...........of course the left two lanes were zooming past us...........well what did we know...........we were tourist and not sure what we had gotten ourselves into..........as we inched a 1/8th a minuted closer and closer to this exit, I finally realized, it was the ONLY exit to RI and that was where the back up started...........this one exit. All of the people who work in Boston or surrounding areas have to take this one and only exit to get home!!!!!!! Well once we went over the bridge and landed on the cape another whole adventure started.............we finally found our motel at dark thirty............and before I would sign in I asked to see the room.............trust me, I wasn't comfortable there at all and neither was Karen...........ok, call us snobs, but the Bates Motel looked better than this and I know it had to smell better too. We lucked out did find a nice place, the Cape Point Hotel..........that had a room for all three nights, the same room, so we wouldn't have to change mid point..........until tomorrow............that's all folks.............

1 comment:

Joanne Kennedy said...

I'm happy you made it home without being washed away. How scary.

I'm Irish too so I know just what you are talking about. Yes we have a few family members that are or where fond of the Irish Tea.

We talk like you do, not finishing where we are going. It's funny how we all know what is going to be said with only a few words so like you said, why bother finishing what you were going to say. LOL

Hugs,
Joanne