Sunday, August 10, 2008

I'm baaaaack

I am back.......it was quite the ride......in more ways than one. Before I even left San Antonio, while still sitting at the gate.........it was announced that our plane, that was coming in from Dallas/Fort Worth hadn't even left the airport yet.........hello????? I was headed to Dallas/Fort Worth to make connections!!!! So those of us that were having to make connecting flights had to come to the ticket counter and make different arrangements............well, that was 98% of the plane!!!!! At some point another employee of the airlines appeared and started handing out pieces of paper that had an 800 # on it to call direct to change and re-schedule...........I went that route and it worked out quite nicely.........even seat wise. Landed, made the connection and then got held up on the runway for,hmmmm, FOREVER!!!! Finally got airborne and the flight was good.......slept and read.........horrid, horrid weather in Boston, so we circled for what seemed like again, FOREVER........finally landed and then we sat on the runway again, as the spot that we were to unload at, was being occupied by another plane............of course my friend was sitting patiently in the luggage area waiting for me......shoot she made a friend and they were talking like they were next door neighbors..........and then the wait began for the luggage..........it took over an hour!!! Now listen to this, when the little red light started flashing and the bell went off, people actually clapped........it was a hoot. Thank goodness my luggage did arrive. Off we went to the rent-a-car place and prayed that they hadn't given our car away...........I sat outside with the luggage and friend went in to tackle that part...........at one point I thought she had snuck out the back door and left me there...........more and more of mix ups.......not with us, thankfully, but with others and only one person helping the line. Everyone else was helping another customer..........a little man from India.........oh what a hoot. I was laughing so hard........I was so tired I would have laughed at anything by then. I actually snorted a few times I got to laughing so hard............at first I think the rent-a-car men were upset with me, but then they started to laugh too..........it was like a Steve Martin, David Carey and Lucille Ball all wrapped up in one movie. We were off, in the rain and darkness. Did I mention rain and darkness. Oy vey...........poor Karen had never driven in a tunnel before, I think it was actually better that she did so for the first time at night........at one point she asked me " Are we under water?".......honest Abe here........."Yup!"............before she knew it we were at the NH border and she was totally shocked..........I kept telling her things were "close" back east. Now the fun starts. Karen has a GPS thing.........it did quite well too.........but when we hit VT.........rain, no RAIN.........no torrids of RAIN.........and then fog.........bad, bad fog............scary fog...........and dark............holy mackanolie I have never seen night as dark as that. At one point when a flash of lightning lit the sky up, I glanced at a mountain peak........how majestic............but at the same time these mountains had swallowed up the satellite signal for the GPS (which I named Tabitha........have no idea why..........I just did)...not a good thing. I had so many one liners popping into my head.......good ones too..........but one look at Karen and I wasn't going to even think about sharing them with Karen..........nope, I could just see me sitting along side the road, wet and alone..........scary!!!! I did become brave and told her that we had been going in circles for a wee bit.......she said we hadn't, but I finally had to point out that there was the same house with people still awake and lights on everywhere........and unless we were in the twilight zone, we were going in circles. OOOO and this is a good one that I forgot about........when we crossed over to NH we were both hungry, it was late and the only thing that we could find was the famous golden arches.........pulled in and Karen notices this red light on, on the dashboard...........THE EMERGENCY BRAKE..............holy baloney..........we had been driving with it on!!!!!!!!!! Then we couldn't find the silly thing......had the manual out and everything...........I called my son-in-law and told us where to find it.........along with how to make the bright lights stay on..............ah, we had an adventure. Arrived at the resort around 3 in the morning...............eternally grateful that we were on the main floor and didn't have to traipse up any stairs with my elephant of a suitcase........


The photo above is what we looked out on from our room.........we had a nice little balcony/porch area that we sat out on almost every morning..........here is what the surrounding area looked like
Can you see the fog in the back ground? Everywhere that isn't inhabited, is that dense forest.........everywhere...............beautiful......totally beautiful. No air conditioning at the resort......you don't need it.......it cools down at night and we left the porch sliding doors open for me in the living room and she kept her bedroom window open....nice my friends, so very, very nice. The roads are small, narrow and windy......not wind blowing, but curvy...........extremely curvy.......but thank goodness we had this....trust me, we needed it for our visit to Massachusetts...........only have these pictures to share until tomorrow............tomorrow will be our first full day of tourists..........

No comments: