Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm not a canidate any more..............

No one even had to ask me to step aside, or to turn my club card in, no one had to look embarrassed because I was trying to hang on desperately to my club membership..........and it was all for the best. I am no longer a member of the Rand McNally Road Map club and the Read the Exits Correctly organization. Oh how I have tried to be a good member..........at one point I was actually starting to feel a little confidence sneak into my system, but alas, those feelings were dashed quickly. On the recent trip back east, my older friend finally realized that if we didn't want to constantly be lost, and if her GPS system was going to lose signals in the mountains, she was on her own............she had to drive and navigate...........I was calling her Wonder Woman at the end. She travels quite a bit by herself and is use to doing this............I admire that so much........she just makes her plans and off she goes........she is my hero in this area. This past week my daughter from WY came to San Antonio for a conference..........I was so excited..........until I realized that she was relying on my to drive her around...............whoa.........it started........that jumble and squirmy feeling in my stomach. I don't do downtown by myself. I have always gone with someone that has read the map or knew their way around............I just jumped from lane to lane and watched the lights and other motorists hand signals...........aren't they hand signals???? Oh man, I was lost all of the time..............big time.............when I went to pick her up Friday to bring her out to the house..........I ended up in an area that I shouldn't have been in..........oh it wasn't good. I pulled into a convenience store parking lot, made sure the car doors were locked and said a wee prayer............I tried calling my son-in-law and daughter.................neither answered and thankfully I was able to reach another young woman that I knew and when I gave her the address of where I was at, I heard her say........." Oh my gosh!".............yeah, not good. She did a map quest and gave me instructions, I thanked her over and over and started off again............well I did semi, sorta ok..............I missed something somewhere, but I was able to navigate to the hotel finally and thought I was going to hyperventilate.............not really............but it wasn't a good feeling. I just get myself ALL worked up...........really worked up..........a nervous wreck............it's just the way I am..............I am trying to over come this...........sometimes it works and other times..........well, I am trying. So if you want to do a road trip with me, be sure you know where we are going, are able to read a map, and have lots and lots of patience..........lots of patience.

No comments: