Friday, August 15, 2008

It's whale watching day

Before we took off on that adventure, as we went and purchased out tickets and still had a wee bit of time to spare, we went to the the town of Barnstable..........now it's not pronounced Barn Stable (as in a place for boarding horses), but Barns-ta(short a)-ble). Here is the general store there. I have to admit, that if I didn't get to do anything else on the trip, being a passenger and not the driver was the best. I was able to gawk and oooh and ahhhh at all of the homes, and beautiful scenery.......it was like heaven. Sadly, on the cape, where I fell in love with almost every home I saw, we couldn't stop to take pictures..........the roads are soooooooo small, curvy and of course the traffic during July and August is terrific. BUT, right next door to the general store is the cozy cottage.........well you know me, I am in my own little world.........oblivious to so many things..........well I spotted THE most wonderful hydrangeas......I had been seeing them everywhere and just couldn't get a good pictures........so thinking I was at a business, I trooped over to them and took a picture......... Aren't they wonderful? Well 3/4 s of the way of my plodding to get the picture, my friend yells at me from the sidewalk..........."what are you doing? This isn't a shop, it's a house!" well shoot, I was already trespassing.....so I snapped and got back on the sidewalk..........here are some more of the this cottage and the garden in the front

















See how they have the quilts on the rocking chairs? Now wouldn't you think it was a store? Oh come on, back me up here.........

Ok, we get on the boat and again, we are so unaware of things........we thought it was going to be an hour in total for this excursion.............right.........it's an hour and some odd minutes to get to the whale area...........but here are some of the neat sites on the way out................



















This light house isn't a working one any more.........there were people up on the top waving to us.......and the homes are only summer homes..........

Ok, we get to the area where most of the whale siting are..........and did we hit a bonanza of a day.........usually you stay out, maybe an hour............we stayed forever and was I happy.........we saw a gazillion different sitings........maybe in total the same 10 or 11 whales, but did they ever cooperate and put on a show.........I will put a few pictures on, but my camera and the crowds combined didn't do justice to these magnificent mammals..................





















As you can see, I didn't do any justice at all........but I was so thrilled, I just stood there with this big ole' smile on my face.........it was wonderful...........tomorrow Nantucket.

No comments: