Sunday, August 17, 2008

Nantucket

Well it's the last day of vacation, and my birthday...........what a way to celebrate..........my oldest friend from childhood, my cousin and her friend.........at Nantucket Island, MA!!! I mean is life good or what????? The ferry ride took an hour and 50 minutes..........so some of us rode up top and the rest of us went below and found a nice area with booths........eventually we all ended up at the booth and for those of us that didn't know each other well, we got to know each other better.........with lots of giggles.

Had a wonderful lunch of a lobster roll and lots of giggles and talk.......you should have seen some of us trying to get up on those high bar stool chairs...........I am sure it was quite entertaining!!!!! This is quite the bosom shot, huh?..........looks like a ripe ole' cantaloupe staring at you in face!!!!!!!

We took a bus tour around the island first, before lunch and I am so glad that we did............learned so much about the island.........things that I had no idea about. Did you know that the Quakers were big whalers? I didn't.........and at one point, we went past this plain pasture looking area, stone fence around it and beautiful, wild grass...........it was a Quaker cemetery...........they don't have headstones. Here is a picture of the cemetery that you can see from the little narrow road...........on the opposite side of the street is the other part of the cemetery..........but unlike these headstones, they are all facing away from the road..............why?.........well, because of the strong winds and salt air, it would have worn down and erased the names and dates...........I don't know why this fascinated me, but it did.





Here is a picture of the oldest house on the island........a saltbox..........of course no one lives there, but if you didn't know that, you wouldn't realize it, as it is in good condition.......can't go inside.......in fact we couldn't get off of the bus to see it..............no pull outs and trust me the roads are super narrow
This charming little cottage is known as the rose cottage.........during the growing season, it is totally covered with climbing roses............we had missed it.... .......but so many of the homes are like this..........all made with the shingle siding or clapboard sidings (but only clapboard in the front.........has to have shingles on the other sides of the house..........the historical society is very very strict on the island..........this is the one and only contemporary home on the island............if anything happens to it, well there won't be any more...........it's the one of the right in the back round........can't see it very well, but it sure stands out. Here is a picture of the lighthouse.........again, we didn't get close to it......a day just isn't long enough.















Of course my blog wouldn't be complete with out some flowers........I mean I fell in love with the hydrangeas.........bet you couldn't tell, huh?
































Saw this from the bus window...........have no idea what all of these flags mean, well I know the American and English flag, but I am ignorant of the others........just thought it was a cool pictures

On the way back to the cape, I snapped this.........definitely out of my budget............tee hee



All in all it was a wonderful vacation and a special special birthday................and I am done with my day to day diary..........hope I didn't bore you totally and that you found something that you enjoyed.........

No comments: