Thursday, October 16, 2008

What's in a number???

What's in a number? Is it the way we look at it, feel about it? Now if you are a practical and an accountant type person, a number is a solid identity........concrete.........it is what it is. The rest of us, well, I can only speak for myself (and I wobble on that some of the time.)

Take today for instance.......it's 65 here today. It's actually chilly for here. There is a dampness and chill and the wind is blowing........nothing romantic about this. Yet, if I were still living in Why-oh-ming I would be dragging out the shorts and doing a happy dance. Either way, 65 is still 65.
Age..........hmmm, that has never bothered me.........it truly hasn't. I was so proud to turn 60 this year.......I am thinking the lady above doesn't care what number represents her age either. I think I may have shared this before, but if you are new to the blog I will share again. When I was learning my numbers from the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart, they had them up on the wall on ladders........1 being at the top and 10 at the bottom........so the milestone ages, 30, 40 ,50 etc., those never have hit me hard..............but the next number......31, 41, 51, those hit me a wee bit more........why, well I was starting a new ladder!!! Go figure, how and why something like that still remains with me.
Weight, do we even want to go there? Well we will gently tip toe into that room............I am overextended in girth. THE END...........my eating habits aren't not the best.....plus my paternal genes aren't exactly on the thin side......those are facts and can also be looked at as excuses........whatever. Your weight is a number..........now the number 140 to some is like "get me to a clinic and start suctioning off this weight" for me, 140 would have me out shopping for skinny clothes and feeling like "THE WOMAN'..........again, it's how we look at it and feel about it.



The number of children in a family.......for some one child is to many.

For other families the more the merrier
The size of our checkbooks, savings, investments.........again numbers.............for some these past few weeks have wrecked havoc and fear for many......for others, who I think are more in the majority, who are getting by week to week, and who would be thrilled to say that they even had a savings account, the Wall Street see-saw, was something to read about..............again, numbers.
I don't know what made me think of this today.......who knows why I think of certain things period........so I throw it out to you..........how do numbers effect your life?
Have a good day..........spread a little sunshine if you can.






No comments: