Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A medical day

Before I share my day from medical $(%&@%^@^$^@&*^%$, let me share a recipe that I found that sounds easy and would help out on busy days ahead........be right back to see if I can get it copied and shared with you........wish me luck
oh yes, all this took place on Tuesday.......not today......Wednesday.....I typed it last night, because I am sure I am going to have to end up going back to the clinic and base again today.......sigh

HOT and CHEESY CHICKEN CASSEROLE





Ingredients
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 14-oz. pkg. frozen broccoli florets
2 cups cooked rice*
1-1/2 cups frozen peas
1 10.75-oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 10.75-oz. can condensed fiesta nacho cheese soup
1 10- to 10.5-oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 oz.)
1 cup crushed rich round crackers
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chicken in bottom of 3-quart rectangular baking dish. In large bowl combine broccoli, rice, and peas. Spread mixture over the chicken. In medium bowl combine cream of chicken soup, nacho cheese soup, diced tomatoes, milk, and crushed red pepper. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Pour mixture over broccoli mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle crushed crackers evenly over all. Top with remaining cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
2. Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes or until topping is golden. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
* If you do not have leftover rice, cook 2/3 cup long grain white rice or brown rice in 1-1/3 cups boiling water for 15 minutes (40 minutes for brown rice) or until water is absorbed.


Now, let me take out my frustrations and just get it over with............first, before anyone points out the obvious:

!. I know there is a shortage of doctors

2. Doctors are not Gods

3. Everyone makes mistakes

4. No one, but no one can anticipate when a regular medical appointment will turn into something major.

5. I am not the only person in the world


My appointment was at 9:30 a.m. Since it was a Tuesday, I had to take Andrew with me......oh I could have asked one of the other pre-school mothers to watch him in a play day type of thing, but because I KNOW that there is bound to be a delay, I just don't like to ask and then keep calling them to tell them I am still at the doctor's office. We waited in the waiting room for exactly 1 hour and 15 minutes...........now all of this time, Andrew was sooooo good. Did the preliminary things, bp, weight, temp, then we were shown into one of the cubicles, talked to the nurse - and waited exactly another 45 minutes. When the doctor arrived, she breezed in, just like nothing was wrong with keeping patients waiting this long, not an apology one, zilch. Hello, if I don't expect you to be God, then please don't act like your time is the only thing that matters!!!! Now without going into a whole lot of detail, I have a rash that I am trying to get rid of, that is one of the reasons I was there (along with the sinus, ear and to get a prescription renewed). After glancing at the rash, she says, "after applying cream twice a day, you still have it?" Ok, I KNOW it was a rhetorical question.........but at this point I truly wanted to say to her "Naw, I went to a magic shop and bought this red rash and glued it onto my body!" So she tells me what she is going to give me......walks out of the room and we wait.......for another15 minutes. In walks the nurse with a basin, syringe and some type of liquid in a bottle and says " Have you ever had your ear flushed before?"

I looked at her........"No, and I don't mind having it done now, but the doctor didn't tell me that I was going to have this done."

" Well, don't you have an ear infection and water in your ear?"

"Yes, but I have never had an ear flush for an ear infection........and before we go any further, can I just ask.....why have we been kept waiting all morning, no explanation and no apology for our time?"

Ok, I must be the only person with the chutzpa to ask right out loud........she informs me she will be right back. She comes back in 10 minutes and tells me that the flush was for another client and she was sorry. I said fine.............still no scripts. I am now finally dealing with an antsy four year old and so I opened the door, went out - no doctor- no anyone! I just went to the window to pay, thinking that maybe I misunderstood and the doctor was going to leave the scripts there...........nope. The doctor finally comes around the corner, hands me the scripts and gives me a hug......the end of the doctor's visit.

Now I KNOW before I start that going to a pharmacy on any military facility is going to be a long drawn out affair.........and I KNOW that yesterday the computers were down and those people will be there too, getting their meds. I arrived, took my number, B225, they were on B 2o2......I just called my daughter and asked if she wanted to do lunch with us. Asked her to wait for about a half hour to 45 minutes so that I could at least get my script turned in..........she came, she sat with us, I was finally called up.......only to find out that 2 out of the 4 scripts could not be filled at the military pharmacy!!! Called the doctor's office, explained what happened and asked to have a different script written, now this was around 12:30.......we went to lunch, went back to the pharmacy, mailed a birthday package to one of my grand daughters, went to the bank and then went back to the doctor's office (as I had the pharmacists write down what they had comparable to the other meds). I walked in and explained who I was and said that if the doctor hadn't already changed or called my prescriptions, that I had the pharmacist give me the names of the comparable meds.........the cute little thing looked at me and with all the innocence of someone who had no idea that my last never had left my body over 3 hours ago, says to me. " Oh, (insert a giggle giggle), I haven't even gotten around to doing that yet." I raise my right hand in all honesty........I smiled, I handed her the scripts and said, "Ok."

I just had to walk away........of course I would like the anti-biotic and the cream before the end of time........but if not......I will live.......I will survive, the world will keep on turning and life will go on.........so how was your day? I did smile.....I did, at lots of people......and received lots of nice ones in return..........

No comments: