Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Butterflies


On spring break we went to the zoo. Sounds like the beginning of your third grade essay "What I Did on my Summer Vacation", huh? I am a Nana and trust me, I do something the easy way........Amen, so be it. I was no dummy, we had come to the zoo the day before and turned around and went to a park and had our picnic there and the boys played all afternoon......why? The line went around the block, once and started around again and people were still walking to get into the line.......no not just a few.........I am talking herds and packs of people!!!!!!! Entire families from Great Aunt Eula and Great Uncle Oscar to the new born baby, Isabella. Cars were circling.........there was actually a police car parked in front of the zoo parking lot!!!! One of the restaurants down the road started charging people to park in their lot.........guess if they couldn't get customers to come in and eat because of lack of parking it was their right........I don't know, I just looked at the boys, we circled once and I said........no go.............home. We found a park, ate our picnic and the boys played. Hmmm, guess I told you that already, huh? We went back on Tuesday and arrived just a few minutes after it opened..........it was sooooooo nice......still cool, no crowds........what's that song from My Fair Lady........"wouldn't it be luv-er-ly"
At the zoo, they have a butterfly habitat type thing...........you got it........we paid and we went in...........and I am soooooooo happy that we did. Are you ready? I sure hope so........because here comes the butterfly pictures..............
It was, it was........I don't know how to explain it to you........truly. Every where I looked, beautiful plants and butterflies......lots and lots of butterflies. I was snapping away like some sort of photographer that was possessed. Then I stopped remembered the words of the lady that admitted us.........watch where you step.......the butterflies don't know that we walk on the cement floor.........we are in their home and they can go anywhere they desire.......I can appreciate that. She also showed us how to try and get them to walk on our hands............it worked..........here is a picture of my hand...............
Here is another one........





Look at them eating.........well besides on the plants..........
















They landed in my hair, my arms, my back..........I was in butterfly heaven. I have to share a cute story. We were getting ready to leave and both boys had held a butterfly, but you know how that goes..........one more time, one more time. Dan had another land on his hand...........

Andrew wasn't having much luck.........I was looking for a likely candidate and this wonderful little girl walks up..........now her mummy must have been a free soul..........she was dressed like a true hippie child..........free, unmatched......wild hair......a knitted beret........so of course I fell in love with her.........but she came at Andrew like someone on a mission.........she stopped quietly in front of him and said......."Wait."...........shoot we all stood there.......we did. Like some type of magic, the butterflies were coming to her..........she reached out and placed one on Andrew's hand. Look at this snapshot.

I think this shot means the most to me, out of all the shots that day............


I hope you enjoyed the butterflies.........they made me smile and hopefully they made you smile too............have a wonderful day.

No comments: