Monday, February 4, 2008

Vultures


Texas has vultures........now I guess most states have some birds of prey, and I didn't take the time to look it up, maybe all of our wonderful states have vultures residing within their boundaries at least part of the year................but Texas has vultures. When I first notice them, I almost caused an accident. A couple of them were sitting on a light pole in the meridian of our local parkway. This particular vulture that I am referring to, is the one that is featured in cartoons, with the humped up back and the skinniest neck that was ever created.
Now the other day, I was driving Andrew home from pre-school. Some days these rides are quiet quiet, as he is tired, other days he is a constant flow of sharing. This particular day was a quiet one. We entered our particular sub-division, a very nice area, and I happened to look up and there are vultures circling.........yeah, just like the cartoons and movies. Ok, it's ok, as I drove up the next street I can actually see them on the road, and they have incircled some roadkill ( a squirrel I want to believe, not someone's family pet.........not that squirrels aren't nice too, we have one in our backyard that I have named), and these dudes are big.........ok, they are not King Kong size, but they are a good size bird and trust me, there are no table manners with road kill and vultures!!!! I slowed down as I approached them..............shoot, I don't remember the correct way to approach a frenzy of vultures in the driver's manual..........do you? Now for some reason, and no I did not honk the horn......though I might next time........one of these feathered creatures spooks and of course that spooks all of them and they take off (not a pretty sight either........they aren't the most graceful bird).............and yes you guessed it, this dude heads right for my mini-van. Holy mackanolie..........first I thought........stop, then I thought swerve, they I thought gas it and go for broke.............and I did. I did not hit him or her and by the time I had to venture out later in the afternoon, someone who is braver and more conscientious came by and cleaned up the road kill, thus eliminating the vultures............but I am telling you, I am having some amazing adventures here in Texas.........

No comments: